Thank you for attending the Principals Peer Forum: Arts and the Common Core, presented by ArtsEd Washington and the Association for Washington School Principals.
We are inspired by your commitment to ensuring the arts are provided at your school as part of basic education. We hope you will further your commitment to arts education for ALL Washington state students by becoming a member of ArtsEd Washington. We can’t provide resources – such as the Forum – or further our programs without the support from individuals such as yourself. Join today!
Below are the resources referenced throughout the morning so you can revisit or share with your colleagues. If you would be interested in having this type of workshop provided for your district or ESD, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ArtsEdSearch: this research clearinghouse for arts education research for all age groups is searchable by several customizable categories.
- Learn more about Art Lessons in the Classroom (ALIC), the visual art curriculum that was demonstrated by Meredith Essex on ArtsEd Washington’s website.
- We would be happy to provide a customized quote for your school or district, and answer any questions. Contact us at email@example.com
- The Qualities of Quality: Understanding Excellence in Arts Education, the complete Harvard research paper that Doug Poage excerpted for his presentation is here.
- The Six Dimensions of Quality Teaching and Learning from the conversation led by Leita Earl is here. Also: the TPEP Evaluation Framework.
EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES FROM ARTSED WASHINGTON:
- Art Lessons in the Classroom (ALIC) Curriculum Preview: Let us come to you! We are touring the region right now to show ALIC to schools and PTAs considerinf adopting this curriculum for next year. Contact us to arrange an ALIC Curriculum Preview for stakeholders in your school and district so that they may:
- Experience a lesson firsthand,
- Examine the lesson plan notebooks and extensive supporting resources,
- Receive answers to any questions about the program.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- ArtsEd Washington and AWSP are co-presenting the third annual Schools of Excellence in Arts Education Awards. The deadline to apply is March 29. Learn more and apply.
- The Principals Arts Leadership (PAL) Program. In this national Principal magazine issue from the National Association of Elementary School Principals, PAL is featured in “From Intuition to Action. We also highly recommend the Arts Opportunity Gap article on page 5.
- NAESP and the Center for Educational Improvement also highlighted the PAL Program in their national newsletter. We are excited about the national exposure the program is garnering!
OTHER RESOURCES (PDFs):
- The slides from opening speaker, Jessica Vavrus, Assistant Superintendent, Teaching and Learning, OSPI.
- The slides from Beverly Harding Buehler, Program Director from Arts Impact.
- Other materials from Leita Earl’s conversation:Student Engagement Applications.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ON ARTS AND COMMON CORE STANDARDS:
- Arts Education Partnership (AEP) is providing an ever-growing selection of resources to help AEP Partner Organizations, arts educators, school leaders, and policymakers develop a better understanding of the Common Core and what the movement means for the arts.