The 2015 Schools of Excellence in Arts Education Awards
Presented by ArtsEd Washington in partnership with
the Association of Washington School Principals
ArtsEd Washington, in partnership with the Association of Washington School Principals, is pleased to present the fifth annual Schools of Excellence in Arts Education Awards. This prestigious distinction recognizes schools that include the arts as an essential part of their students’ education, providing a creative learning environment for outstanding student achievement through the development of exemplary arts education. Inspired by a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the awards are open to all K-12 schools throughout Washington State.
Who Should Apply:
District elementary, middle, and high schools with exemplary arts education programs, which meet the requirements as outlined below in the Nomination/Application Process.
The ArtsEd Washington and Association of Washington School Principals Schools of Excellence in Arts Education Awards are designed to honor individual schools. Nominations may be submitted by the school principal, a teacher, or a district administrator familiar with the curriculum.
2015 Program Requirements:
Program eligibility requires applying schools to:
- Offer comprehensive education in the arts, specifically teaching at least three of the four state-defined arts disciplines – dance, music, theatre, and visual arts – as specific disciplines, as well as having arts components integrated into other subject areas.
- Use creative approaches to learning, provide appropriate learning environments for teaching the arts, and recognize that the arts are critical and essential to education.
- Encourage parental participation in and/or support of the creative education of their children in a variety of ways.
- Deliver various opportunities for learning about other cultures through the arts to students.
- Promote community connections that build value and respect for the community by offering students diverse experiences beyond the classroom. Community arts and cultural partners should play an active role in the provision of the school’s arts programming.
Award applications should include the following:
- A completed nomination form.
- The completed nomination questions.
- Two copies of two work samples (DVDs will be reviewed for 5-10 minutes, specific cueing instructions must be provided).
The strongest work samples show students being instructed or coached in the arts as well as the final product (performance/exhibit). Support material should provide examples of all major artistic disciplines (dance, music, theatre, and visual art) being taught in the school.
- Video release form, if applicable.
- Letter from the principal.
- A paragraph (150-300 words) providing a summary description of the school’s arts programs.
Completed applications must be received no later than April 10, 2015.
Attn: Schools of Excellence in Arts Education Awards
158 Thomas Street, Suite 16
Seattle, WA 98109
Selection and Publicity:
The winning schools will be announced by ArtsEd Washington and the Association of Washington School Principals during Arts Education Month in May 2015. ArtsEd Washington will also coordinate with state winners for formal presentations at their schools. Winners will be recognized by ArtsEd Washington and the Association of Washington School Principals in member communications and at appropriate events. Additional publicity may include media announcements and winning schools must coordinate with ArtsEd Washington and the Association of Washington School Principals on any and all self-publicity efforts.
Email Laurie Utterback or call 206.441.4501